Toolkit 2 Pipeline 1: Jetpack Jones Turnaround

The below video demonstrates my final rendered Jetpack Jones character outcome for Toolkit 2, a static seated pose alongside a 360 degree standing pose. 

 
The video consists of a rendered beauty, clay and wireframe pass of my character completing a 360 spin within 200 frames. This is supported by three static seated pose renders, all of which were composited in After Effects. 
Being my first character model from scratch, I'm extremely pleased with the final result. The wireframe renders demonstrate my initial attention to good modelling house-keeping; tidy geometry made of even quads. The clay renders respond well to lights, demonstrating smooth modelled surfaces. The final beauty pass includes bump maps and texture maps made within Mudbox, culminating with different surface shader attributes in Maya to present a character made of varying materials. Additionally, I paid attention to render settings within Arnold and on individual materials to create good quality outcome renders.
Improvements to the face would be beneficial; the mouth is beak-shaped, making it difficult to create effective blend shapes, resulting in an awkward smile. The back also protrudes strangely, a result of using the orthographs too strictly and not assessing my modelling from a 360 perspective. Additionally, the characters boots warp when posed, most likely an issue deriving from shin and foot skinning. These faults can be managed with angles and posing as a disguise. I firmly believe my future character rigs and models will be drastic improvements thanks to the knowledge I gained from this pipeline. 

Comments