Character Modelling: Yin

 

Several elements of Yin's character will be added through planes with opacity maps. This means he'll look incomplete until the texturing process. This modelling process was therefore more underwhelming when compared to my other completed characters, as he lacks many features shown in design work. 

For some reason, I quickly decided I was unhappy with Yin's turnarounds and began modelling from more ambiguous and energetic sketches. 

I used three separate images as reference, building a silhouette that differed from my formalised turnarounds.

I worked with the base body topology, neatening and rearranging, before extruding into the legs.

I experimented with several leg shapes, but struggled to settle on a design I liked.

I gravitated towards the above legs, for their loose and simple silhouette. However, they didn't look right from the character's side profile.

I ultimately returned to my original character turnarounds and was much happier with the model. 

Now working with my orthographs, I could tidy the topology.

I extruded into the head once finally happy with the body and legs. 

I kept the feet simple, with only two long claws to emulate a birds'. This seemed sensible and relatively easy to rig. 

I enjoyed working on the characters mask, extruding half the face and using edge loops to create sharp lines to suggest a hard material like wood.

Once I placed the earrings, the character came to life.

for the necklace, I decided to actually model the bones, but leave the rest to opacity maps...

The result looks unimpressive as its shape requires opacity these maps.

I added some depth to the earrings, but decided to leave the mask flat.

Finally, I laid out the UV's ready for texturing. 

Above, a front view render of Yin.

Above, a rear view render of Yin.

Above, a side view render of Yin. 



Comments