Modelling Additional Plants



Moving on from my Cornus and Fern models, I progressed with additional plant life modelling for my final animation. I created a second sheet of concepts using a low saturated colour palette of greens, yellows and purples to match the aesthetic of my concept art: 


The above designs are sketchier than my first plant sheet, but I illustrated enough information to inform my maps for Maya.  

Above, a few maps that demonstrate my process of illustration to 3D model. I use my concept sheet (above) to create clean plant drawings in photoshop and then convert them into colour, normal and alpha maps. These maps are then connected to geometry in Maya 

This process became drastically more efficient as it got more monotonous. It took almost a week to create my very first fern model, but two days to create 8 plants from sketch to 3D model this time around. 

Above, a render of my nettle bush and mushroom models.

Above, a render of yellow ground-level yellow flowers, dainty white flowers and a sparse bush variety. 

Above, a render of Ivy vines, blue foxgloves, and simple grass.

Above, a render of tall grass, lavender, and orange mushrooms.



Above, a leafy shrub variety.


 
Above, a render including all my plant models up to that point. Although created from purely nurb planes, I adjusted and placed my plants with enough variation to give the illusion of 3D objects. I think the low colour saturation can feel 'grubby' very quickly, I tried to break this up with colourful accents like the blue berries, yellow flowers and purple mushrooms. "After this render, I realised I'd forgotten to include one of my plant models. And there'll be more plants to follow as I find gaps in my 3D environments".



Comments