Rocks, Books and Glass Vials

The following models will help accessorize my final animations' environments. Organic props such as boulders will break-up the flat ground plane, and intricate props like glass vials help suggest that the space is inhabited by people. 

Rocks

Using the same methodology as my cabin step stone, I created a series of mossy rocks/ boulders for my final animation using lattice deformers and normal maps to replicate stone surfaces. These individual stone models were then exported out as proxy stand-ins, ready to be used in my final animation Maya scenes...


I began modelling a variety of rock shapes and sizes, starting with a cube to ensure I was working with quad geometry. Rough shapes were molded with lattice deformers, before adjusting individual vertices to create jagged, unsymmetrical and uneven surfaces. These models have a high subdivision count to ensure I don't loose sharp surfaces in smooth preview mode. 


Above, the colour and normal maps applied to my Maya geometry. 

Above, a render of my rock varieties. I tried to vary their shapes and personality as a means of maximizing the illusion of natural randomness. 

I adjusted the texture maps for a coarser outcome and more contrast between the moss and masonry. A far better render than the previous.


Books

Using scans from plant encyclopedias as color maps, I created several map varieties to use on a book model. I was lucky enough to find some fern illustrations, so it looks as though my characters are reading up about the plants visible on-screen in their actual environment. 


Glass Vials

I modelled a simple glass vial using the existing glass pitcher I'd made as an asset for my cabin model. Since they're so small (palm size), I wanted their contents to be vivid and interesting. In this case, I created strange blue beads. 





I modelled a second glass vial variation, I might need to consider a stand for these long vials as they can't stand on their own. 


I filled the vials with dried petals and grainy materials. I found several seamless sand and petal maps on textures.com and played around with hue and saturation to make unusual variations Mossy cork caps suggest age, I avoided aging the glass but created some tattered labels for the outside, which also help disguise the flat tops of the filling. 

Comments