Collaboration: Finalising The Laundromat Set

 

The finalised set has minimal detail but enough to convey a stylised environment suitable for its narrative purpose. The majority of detail has been implemented through textures rather than 3D modelling which has created a childish style that looks like a toy set. The final modelled set has loose references to 80's interior design seen in the posters, detergent box packaging and washing machine design. I'm happy with the washing machine doors; the glass concaves because of the materials' curvature.

Renders:

The final collaborative animation will be play blasted, but I decided to render a few shots to practice lighting methods. I used IES files from real downlights so light the walls along with area lights, directional lights and a sky dome light. 







Matte Painting:

I used this primitive matte painting to give dimension to my modelled set, suggesting that there is a world outside the windows of the laundromat. 

A matte painting depicting the other side of the street, opposite the laundromat.


Textures:

Created in photoshop, these textures were imported onto my modelled assets to create detail. I stayed true to my original orthographs. 

Basket texture

Bench Texture

Red Crate Texture

Yellow Crate Texture

Detergent Texture

Detergent Display Texture

Wall Sign Texture

Wet Floor Sign Texture

Hamper Texture

Logo Texture

Poster Texture

Tarmac Texture

Washing Machine Texture

Dryer Texture





Comments