Rigging my Magpie Model

 

I decided to experiment with Maya's 'QuickRig' tool, to see if it could reduce the time it took to rig this magpie model.

I arranged the reference points generated by 'Quickrig' to map-out the positions of joints. 

Once the reference points were in place, I generated a skeleton. The arm joints go through the wings and I deleted the 'hands' to make the skeleton more catered for a bird. 


Finally, I skinned the skeleton to my magpie model and used the 'paint skin weights' tool to adjust joint influence. Because there's no joints through the magpie's tail, I connected its movement to the hip joint. This means, when the model leans forward, the tail will follow. 

The final skinned magpie model has functioning legs, wings, and head. This model will only be seen from distance, so I'm not concerned with small skinning imperfections along the wings or back. 



Comments