Modelling a Jizo Statue

 


"While walking in Japan, you’ll likely spot small stone statues shaped like children or depictions of Buddha. While these may seem like mischievous forest sprites, moss-covered and popping up from between trees at the most unusual locations, their real identity tells a different story. Jizo (地蔵/womb of the earth), as they are called, are made in the image of Jizo Bosatsu, guardian deity of children and travellers. They're also known as the ‘earth bearer’, so jizo statues are made out of stone, which is said to have a spiritual power for protection and longevity that predates Buddhist beliefs. Jizo Bosatsu is a kind and patient deity, and so the statues are fine with eroding under rainwater and being covered in moss. These small stone incarnations greet us along the trail, bringing protection and power when we need it. And where there is a jizo, you may also find a small tower of stones nearby. Another purpose of the jizo is to protect the spirits of children who have passed away. It is said that when a child dies before their parents do, they are not able to cross the river to the afterlife and so their days are spent making towers of stones to help gain merit for their parents in their own afterlife. However, mean spirited yokai (妖怪/monster or demon) knock down these stone towers each day, so the children begin their Sisyphean task anew." - Ilse Montald

Above, a shot of my Jizo statue within my animatic. 



This little Jizo statue is seen intimately within my Minor project narrative, demonstrated in my Animatic and PreViz. I therefore spent time getting this model correct, ensuring I transferred personality from 2D sketch to 3D asset. 

I started with a detailed Influence map, capturing a variety of traditional Jizo statues and how nature reclaims them. I was adamant on using the red headpiece in my own design. 


I brainstormed a few head shape variations, so see how it affected the statues' silhouette. 


The models' personality was hard to contain within accurate orthograph linework, so I kept my designs relatively rough. I took the above sketches into Maya. 

I began by roughing out the basic form. The model is unsymmetrical, which made this challenging. 

I build-up the face details gradually, trying not to rush. I found that details came naturally when I gave it the patience. 

Reminding myself that the Jizo statue is ancient and overgrown, so facial details will be soft from rock erosion.  

I used a temporary red shader around the head to understand how the statues' front profile will look. 

Once happy with the face, I worked on the hands and robe detailing. The sculpt brush tool helped evenly distribute topology as I worked. 

Finally, I duplicated the headpiece and extruded outwards to create volume.  This will eventually have a fabric texture. 

I decided to remove the ears from this design, so I cloud focus on more important areas like the models face. I also wanted a bow under the chin, but I found the hands to be in the way. 


Above, a side profile render.

Above, a rear view render. 



Comments