Mudbox Pepper Model

After an introductory Mudbox workshop last week, I set about making a pepper vegetable this week. Using a Wacom tablet made sculpting easier and painting more accurate. 

Starting with a base sphere, I used the grab tool and a large brush to form the basic vegetable silhouette. This was easier with a mouse, since the tablet pen would lag. 
 
The freeze tool allowed me to extrude a pepper stem with the sculpt tool. The layer can be flooded, freezing the entire object, before a brush is used to isolate areas of geometry you want to manipulate. 


As I grew more comfortable with Mudbox, I experimented with stylization. Using the flatten and pinch tools to create crisp edges and faces. 


I worked from a low to high poly on different levels, gradually incorporating finer detail. Being my first Mudbox model however, I avoided getting too ambitious. I created some basic texture using a stamp on the sculp tool. 

I started the paint process with simple block colors. Leaving the model at this stage makes it very stylized.  

I thoroughly enjoyed using Mudbox, a similar process to painting in Photoshop. I hope to utilize this program when detailing my character models for my final animation. 

Comments