Life Drawing

 

Above, a 25 minute charcoal portrait study.

Above, a 5 minute sketch. I found charcoal to be useful for capturing this extreme pose; the surface area allowed me to create sweeping and dramatic strokes.

Aove, a 30 minute portrait study. I used a tombow mechanical rubber to create wispy hair amongst the charcoal strokes, playing with negative space. 


Above, a 30 minute seated study using charcoal again. I struggled with the subjects legs, but captured the face very quickly. From the perspective of this photo, I can now see that the legs are loo small and central. 

Above, a 10 minute portrait study. I used the sharper faces of the charcoal to create illustrative details, seen in the eyes. nose and mouth. 

Above, a 1 minute gesture study. 

Above, another 1 minute gesture study. 

Above, a 1 minute gesture study. 

Above, two quick gesture poses. These are some of my favorite outcomes from the gesture variation captured from very few strokes. The left sketch shows  darker lines on the leg holding the subjects body weight. 

Comments