Texturing my Jizo Model

In my Minor animatic and previsualisation, I showcased a small stone Jizo statue sitting amongst the forest floor. Jizo statues are childlike depictions of Buddha said to have spiritual power. An indigenous Japanese figure that holds visual significance in my narrative from its interactions with my Kami spirit characters. Although small, this little statue has narrative and visual importance due to its connotations with Japanese Shinto. I have therefore dedicated a lot of time to the modelling and texturing of this asset. 
For style continuity, I used the same rock and moss textures from my Toro lantern and boulder models to texture this statue. I used a seamless knitted texture for the head covering, using photoshop to create normal maps alongside colour maps. 


Above, a side profile render of my Jizo statue. I refrained from using displacement maps to reduce the weight on Maya's viewport when I come to arranging my final sets. 

Above, a rear view render of my Jizo statue. Here, we can see the seams I've hidden, as this angle won't be visible in my final animation. 

Above, an angled profile render of my Jizo statue. When a directional light hits the model just right, you can see the eroded face of the old statue. 


Above, a render of my model without its head covering. This option might be handy if  decide to use multiple Jizo statues in my animation's backgrounds. 

I mapped the UVs of my statue out as a single texture to reduce the total amount of maps used in my future sets.

Above, the colour and normal maps used on my Jizo model. 







 

Comments