Modeling and Texturing a Cave

 I decided to develop on the rocks I modelled and textured last year. Using the same techniques as my Toro texturing process, I gradually built up moss using masks and a low opacity brush in photoshop. I also laid out the rock UVs again, so I could have a larger boulder alongside smaller rock formations. 

Above, a render of my re-textured rocks. I think this is a huge improvement to the rocks I textured back in minor project. 

Above, a render of my new cave model. I used the same rock and moss textures for this asset. 

Above, a second render of my cave model from the opposite side. I plan on rendering this as a still and compositing my scenes together in After Effects for my final Major animation.

Above, my rock colour map.

Above, my rock normal map.


Above, my cave colour map

Above, my cave normal map





I used a photo of a cave entrance as the reference for my own cave model. I used the draw tool to create a curve tracing the edge of the cave entrance. I then created a polygon from the curve and adjusted the topology into an uneven rocky surface.

Above, I created a archway from a curve.


Above, I created an outer surface to act as a cave opening. 
I used 'soft select' to grab areas of vertices and move them into an uneven rocky surface. 





Comments