Adobe Substance Painter Introduction

 Adobe Substance Painter is a programme that integrates with Autodesk Maya to create textures. The texturing process is quicker than using photoshop, because maps are exported simultaneously rather than individually. However, Substance Painter limits stylisation and produces hyper-realistic textures. 

Above, an Arnold render without any textures. 



Above, an Arnold render including Substance Painter textures. I noticed some deforming around the book spine and weak bump mapping on the wood table texture.  




I found Substance Painter's interface easier to use compared to Maya. During this texturing process, I had the most trouble setting up the textures in Maya; I found myself quickly getting lost in the attribute editor. I did, however, identify a pattern when setting up textures; switching Colour Space to RAW, ticking Ignore Colour Space File Rules, and ticking Alpha Is Luminance

Above, a common setup for height, roughness and metallic maps in Maya. 



Above, Adobe Substance Painter's workspace.

The process was manageable and I found Substance Painter's workspace similar to Photoshop. However, I found it challenging to identify problems, such as the leather texture's stretching around the spine of the book. Despite this, I aim to use this program for future projects that require realistic texture stylisation. 


Process Notes:


Substance Painter Process Notes by Saskya Olsen on Scribd

Comments