The CG Pre-Visualisation Process - Editing


I cut a rough video together, compiling all of the play blasts I wanted to include in my final CG Pre-Vis. Tools I had picked up from my premier pro tutorials (razor tool, text graphics, zoom tool) helped to create a good representation of my animatic. My finalised script has a few adaptations from the animatic, so I tried to follow my script, as this variation is the most current.



Considering Justin Wyatt’s workshops, I wanted to avoid constant hard cuts. I mixed in a few fade in’s and out’s to segregate scene changes and improve the continuity of my story. However, I found pacing difficult because of how eventful my two-minute story is.



I didn’t like the transitions that any of the stock text graphics came with, so I chose to make my own. I created text and adjusted their opacity for a fade in and out effect. The pre-sets had intros and outros that came across as goofy, which wasn’t the style I was aiming for.



I played around with some simple colour correction. The style of this mockumentary is supposed to promote the mundane and bland, so I tried to be subtle with lowering saturation, and used grey-style to indicate filmed flashbacks.



Adding sound effects was a relatively straight forward process. I therefore stuck with premier pro instead of audition, as it was just a case of importing pre-made sounds and adjusting the volume.



I appreciated the tutorials I sat through that demonstrated ‘blend modes’ In premier pro, I experimented with the blending options to overlay special effects such as smoke, fire and embers. These effects help to create the chaos I was aiming for in the climax of my CG Pre-Vis.

Comments